There is no doubt that the arts nourish the spirit and are an essential part of a happy and balanced life.
Our music department places creativity and passion at the core of its teaching. Children are given the opportunity to make music in many different ways including composing, listening and performing. They are given an excellent framework of skills from the very beginning that allows each child to develop at their own pace and in their own way. Response to music is a primitive yet individual matter and we celebrate the wide variety of musicianship that abounds at our school.
Instrumental tuition is offered in the following instruments:
violin, viola, ‘cello, double bass, harp, flute, clarinet, oboe, saxophone, bassoon, trumpet, french horn, piano, singing, drum kit, orchestral percussion, guitar and electric guitar.
- We have many thriving musical ensembles including string orchestra, wind band, rock band, steel band, choir, training choir and our award-winning chamber choir. Instrumentalists are also coached regularly in trios, quartets and small groups.
- We run a music tech class for children interested in exploring computerised music and recording
- We run two extra-curricular music theatre workshops (one for younger children and one for older children) which collaborate on a musical production every year. Past performances include Grease, Annie, Oliver, The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins.
Children are offered the following performing opportunities throughout a school year:
- Participation in local and national music festivals
- Concerts twice a year for the prep department at Christmas and Easter
- A traditional carol service at the Chapel of St Cross featuring all three choirs in the prep department.
- A musical theatre production every year; nursery and reception perform a selection of songs and stories for their parents twice a year. Y1 and Y2 perform an original production at Christmas created by the head of department. Y3 and Y4 work together in the spring term on a Shakespeare musical production, also created by the head of department, and Y5 and Y6 work on a large-scale musical production. Past performances include: Guys and Dolls, 42nd Street, Bugsy Malone and Fiddler on the Roof.
- Y6 undertake a Fame Academy project, writing songs and rehearsing and performing them in bands. They perform to the school competing for votes, and they all record a CD at a local recording studio.
- A two-day music festival, celebrating all things musical! This incorporates a non-competitive section, a singing competition, a “Rock Divas” competition and a competitive instrumental section.