Drama is a very popular subject at St Swithun’s, where each class receives a specialist drama lesson every week. Creativity and performance are at the heart of our drama curriculum, and children benefit from many varied and exciting performing opportunities.
Past productions include Guys and Dolls, 42nd Street, Bugsy Malone, West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof. We organise regular theatre trips as part of the children’s drama experiences.
As well as curricular drama lessons, we run an extracurricular drama games club for younger children, and a very popular music theatre workshop. Past performances include Grease, Annie, Oliver, The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins.
Performing opportunities include:
- Participation in local and national music festivals
- Concerts twice a year for the prep department
- A traditional carol service at the Chapel of St Cross
- A musical theatre production every year in the preprep department, and in year 4 and year 6
- “Spotlight” music and drama performances in year 3 and year 5
- •Year 5 take part in the national Shakespeare Schools’ Festival, performing at the Theatre Royal, Winchester
- Year 6 undertake a Fame Academy project, writing, rehearsing, performing and recording songs
- A two-day music festival, celebrating all things musical